Monday, July 26, 2010

Areas of Expertise


In Kluth's text, I thought displaying a particular student's knowledge and special abilities really makes a difference. Kluth suggests having students participate in a match game where students have to come to the student that has the specialized knowledge about that topic to retrieve information.
This reminds me a little of "Star of the Week" where one or two students display their strengths, abilities, and hobbies through posters, photographs, and valued objects brought from home. Students have an opportunity to connect to the"Student of the Week" where they may not have before.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a really good idea. I love displaying all student work. Not only does it let students and parents know you are proud of them it gives students self esteem, pride in themselves, and a sense of courage. I also agree with the "star of the week" bit because I think that this also allows students to connect with other students in the classroom as well as those outside the classroom. I think that letting students have a specialized time for themselves is great because it shows them that you care about them and that they matter to you, the schoo, the school community, etc. I think one of the best ways to boost confidence and self esteem in students is by sharing their work and positive things about them to the school community and even the public depending on what the circumstances are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, this is such a neat way to highlight a student's strength, rather than always pointing out what they can't do!

    ReplyDelete